[geeks] Re: was Suzuki Samurai

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sun Oct 19 23:03:42 CDT 2003

Kurt mumbled ...
> > Never mind pedestrian restriction
> > on limited-access roads, like I was on - but, admitedly, I didn't
> > specify that.

Oh gods.  That just spurred a memory of driving up I-5 from the Bay Area
to Seattle about 14 years ago, and somewhere about 30 miles north of
Eugene, at oh-dark-thirty, doing about 70 with not another vehicle in
sight as far as I can see ahead or behind, haven't seen another vehicle
for about 15 minutes (and that was a truck going the other way), I come
around a shallow ... well, not blind curve, but reduced-visibility
curve/crest-of-hump affair, using all the road because there's no other
traffic, and on the other side of this curve/hump some FUCKTARD in a
light grey knee-length overcoat is WALKING DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE LEFT
LANE OF I-5.

I had plenty of visibility to see another vehicle, and I knew there
wasn't a vehicle there before I reached the hump, but I wasn't looking
for a pedestrian who shouldn't have been there and had no sane reason
for being there.  I can't have missed him by more'n about a foot.  Even
in the fairly slippery Camaro, the windblast must've just about shaken
him loose from his back teeth.  The only theory I can come up with is
the dude was stoned out of his skull on drugs and had no idea where he
was.