[geeks] (Topic, we don't need no stinkin' topic)

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Oct 19 22:57:40 CDT 2003

> When in the *crosswalk* - jay walking is still a crime, and does not
> grant the ofender the right of way.

Let's wait till the suits get their hands on it...(grin).  Of course, there
will be the idiot that crosses on a red light, gets hit then sues the driver.

> That said, it is a common concept/theory in much of motor vehicle codes
> that the operator is responsible for their vehicle, and striking
> *anything* is the responsibility of the driver - for example, "if you
> were in control of your car and operating it safely, why did you strike
> the back of the car in front of you? You should have maintained a safe
> distance, that is what it means to be in control..."

That's the reason I would slow down going around a blind curve or keep
a given distance behind another vehicle.  Some SUV operators in NJ think
they must be so close you can't see their license plates.  They scare me.
My car might just stop faster than theirs.