Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Fri Oct 17 14:51:31 CDT 2003

As I recall, 'Kurt Huhn' wrote:
> > Driver's ed 101.
> >
> > When you come upon a blind curve, you need to SLOW DOWN.  In addition
> > to not overdriving your stopping distance, you certainly shouldn't
> > overdrive your VISIBILITY!
> >

> So, one should slow down to, what, 10MPH or 20MPH?

That would depend on the visibility.  Reduced far enough, 10MPH
might be warranted.

> You live in a fantasy world.

I live in the real world where I manage to avoid ramming
into other vehicles because I have learned to drive.

> *Experience* teaches you how to drive, not some wanker
> in a tweed sportcoat.

Experience has taught ME to drive, but clearly hasn't done
the same for you.  Some learn better in a classroom situation
and perhaps you are one of those.

> > Do you also follow a car moving ahead of you at 50mph into a fog
> > bank and just assume it's going to keep travelling at that speed?
> >
> > How about overdriving your headlights?
> >

> I made no mention of the above.  Non sequitor.

You overdrive your visibility in one situation, so I asked
if you do the same in others.

Your failure to answer the question is noted.

> > How on earth did you ever get a driver's license and how on earth
> > have you managed to KEEP one?
> >

> Ad hominem.  Fuck you.

Ad hominem?  Hardly.  You clearly show little understanding of
some very basic driving concepts, with the past history that should
have taught you otherwise, and I fully meant exactly what I asked.

Again your failure to answer the question is noted.

> > That's an extenuating circumstance.  Your brakes failed.  Stopping for
> > a squirrel was irrelevant.  They could have made a nice leisurely stop
> > for a red light or stop sign and you might still have hit them.
> >

> Nope.  The VW Rabbit had a backup mechanical backup system for brakes -
> coupled with a handbrake, and the fact that it's a manual transmission,
> made stopping with even somewhat short notice very easy without a
> primary brake system.  Truth is, with the VW Rabbit Diesel, I never had
> to use brakes until I was going about 5-10MPH, 97% of the time.

Wow, then you REALLY fucked up.

> You nothing of what you speak.

I have a perfect driving record.  Perhaps you might take heed,
unless your goal is to ram as many other vehicles as possible.

> > > Do you *really* want to slam on your brakes when you *know* that a
> > > large portion of the population follows too closely anyway?  Are you
> > > *really* going to take that chance for a squirrel?  Is that *really*
> > > an acceptable risk?
> >
> > It depends.  Do you live near me?
>
> Probably not, but that shouldn't make a difference.  Before hanging your
> life (and the lives of those around you) on the edge of a knife,
> consider the possible outcomes of slamming on your brakes to avoid
> killing potted meat.  It simply is *not* important enough to initiate a
> panic stop.

Of course not, but the fact you plowed into the other car still
stands out.  There could have been any number of reasons for a car
ahead of you to stop (downed tree, another stopped vehicle, oncoming
vehicle in their lane, large animal in the road, child running after a
ball) and you are expected to leave enough of a safety buffer that
you can stop.

> Note, I haven't even touched on the possibilities of losing control
> during that idiotic panic stop and killing someone else when you do.

It sounds like the only out of control idiot in that panic stop
was you.

-DanD

# We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them
# personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me. -DEEP THOUGHTS