[geeks]

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Fri Oct 17 08:40:59 CDT 2003

> > So, one should slow down to, what, 10MPH or 20MPH?  You live in a
> > fantasy world.  *Experience* teaches you how to drive, not
> > some wanker in a tweed sportcoat.
>
> 1. I don't appreciate obscenities, and I believe that you should be banned from this list.

Banned for saying "wanker"?  That's a bit overboard, especially on this list, which is
a pretty open board.  People are free to speak their minds.

Also, different slang terms are viewed differently around the world, so what some people
might find offensive or an obscenity would be different.  Most people I know in the U.S.
would view "wanker" as being just a harmless slam, while in the U.K. the use of "wanker"
would be like using the term "jerk-off" in the U.S.

That's kind of like using the word "bollucks".  In the U.S. "bollucks" is rarely used, so if I
were to use it in public not many people would even really notice.  In the U.S. the term
"bullshit" would be more likely to be used.

Probably "bum" in the U.K. and "ass" in the U.S. would be about the same.

I think "fuck" is offensive in both the U.K. and U.S.

Even gestures carry different weight.  Extending the index and middle finger up while
presenting the palm forward means peace in a lot of places.  Turn the hand around to
present the back of the hand means nothing to most people in the U.S., but is equivalent
to extending the middle finger (palm or back of the hand presented), which is considered
an obscene gesture in a lot of different countries, in the U.K.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net