[geeks] [new topic] Autotrivia

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Fri Oct 17 01:21:28 CDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> A friend's father got a ride home with his friends wife, in her new
> Porsche - she didn't know it was not an automatic transmission.
>
> Dhe got it up to about 60 in first gear on the turnpike, but it was
> noisy as hell (he said)...
>
> It was funny *and* sad when he told me about it...

Unless it was some sort of tiptronic tranny (which by all intents and
purposes it is an auto transmission) the story sounds a bit fishy. I mean
if she did not even know that it was not an automatic transmission how the
heck did she even got the car started, much less in gear and drove it? I
mean the whole concept of a clutch would make tings quite ovbious. Then
again sometimes this country never ceases to amaze me.