Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Thu Oct 16 13:09:42 CDT 2003

On Thursday, October 16, 2003, at 02:58  AM, Kris Kirby wrote:

> Right, that's exactly what I'm thinking -- make the throw longer
> because
> $idiot_owner can't fathom doing anything but smashing any of the three
> pedals at once.

You just reminded me of the semi-official method of doing a 'panic'
stop in a Model-T Ford, it is exactly what you just mentioned, mash all
3 pedals at the same time (turn foot sideways). Of course back then the
pedals had different uses than they do today. The rightmost pedal was
the least used of the pedals, it was the brake pedal, next was the
reverse pedal, and the left most was the clutch/shifter pedal. (all the
way down was low gear, foot off the pedal was high gear, with neutral
somewhere in between). The normal method of stopping a Model-T was to
use the reverse pedal until the car was almost stopped, then use the
brake only for the last moment, and/or to keep the vehicle stopped.

Darn, I really miss my Model-T :( I once almost got a speeding ticket
near Frederick MD in my T, the cop clocked me at 70mph, but refused to
write the ticket based on the fact that nobody would believe him! :)

-Mike