[geeks] WebPals for $9.99 + S/H (link to reseller)

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Wed Oct 15 18:02:49 CDT 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> > I wish I had time to mess with things like this.  I have barely enough
> > time for working with stuff as it is. And these things require
> > re-flashing, soldering, and other misc stuff just to get working with
> > a real operating system.  And what are you left with?  Maybe a good
> > thin
>
> The soldering is only required if you want IDE without adding an add on
> ISA card.  Potentially a cheap super care (one that has serial,
> parallel, and IDE on one card) might work if it could share IRQs (don't
> know that such a thing actually existed), or there is a guy who makes a
> supercard specially for the WebPal that has ethernet on it, and IDE.
> That would be quite usefull.  IDE is likely to crawl.

The webpal already has IDE.  If you want to do ethernet, you have to use a
non-plugnplay ethernet card set up for a particular IRQ, because only one
of the IRQ lines is wired.

> Reflashing is no big deal.  If you screw it up, it is probably set up so
> that you could use JTAG to fix things.  In fact, it likely has JTAG
> already, so you could potentially use JTAG to make a backup and not risk
> screwing it up.

I know for a fact that you can backup the existing flash.

I'd much rather have a DEC Shark than a Webpal, though.

Peace...  Sridhar