Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

R. Lonstein ross-sunhelp at lonsteins.com
Wed Oct 15 16:09:13 CDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 10:55:43AM -0400, Kevin wrote:
> Amen! my rear tyres are 11" and i drive like a little
> old lady when it rains but i see soccer moms passing me
> in a Navigator doing 90+ in the rain while on the
> phone.
	[snip]

You'll pass these people as they wait in the ditch further down the
road. It's not limited to SUVs though.

I've personally seen cars and SUVs blow past in bad weather only to
meet up with them a few miles down the road- they've ended up in the
ditch or gone off an embankment (really, that was a bad one).

A particularly bad one was a spring morning outside Troy, NY a few
years ago when a weird storm that threw down a couple of inches of wet
snow that resulted in a semifrozen layer of slush floating on the
water from the first inch of snow melting against the warm surface of
787. It was early Sunday morning and I crawled along for a few miles
on the nearly empty road with a few SUVs and cars blowing by me like I
was going in reverse. Every single one of those vehicles was
overturned or spun into the median or wedged up against the right
barrier.

Single vehicle "accident" but really driver error. Obviously, every
one of them didn't adjust their driving for the road conditions or
misread those conditions (or mistakenly believed that four/all-wheel
drive would magically allow them defy the first law of classical
mechanics).

It would have been a good day to be a tow truck operator.

- Ross