Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Wed Oct 15 11:57:02 CDT 2003

As I recall, 'Phil Stracchino' wrote:
> > How about if we compare making a phone call to other forms
> > of bidirectional radio traffic?  We have a number of hams
> > on the list.  I've never had a problem conversing on the
> > HT while I drive, and I've never had a problem with a
> > cell phone either.
>
> The key to this is to maintain the proper priorities.  If you can devote
> your primary attention to your driving and give only what's left over to
> your ${COMMUNICATION}, you're probably fine.  But if ${COMMUNICATION}
> becomes the primary focus of your attention and your *driving* gets only
> the leftovers, then you have a problem (and, likely, so does everyone
> near you).

You're exactly right, which is why studies show that having a handsfree
set on a cellphone does not improve safety.  PAYING ATTENTION improves
safety.  I focus on the road on the rare occasions I use my phone
or DX while driving.  If I miss something on the other end, I can
always ask them to repeat it.  Trees won't give me a second chance.

> Incidentally, a recent British study found that on average, operating a
> vehicle while talking on a cell phone impairs a driver's ability to
> drive safely as much as operating one while legally intoxicated by drugs
> or alcohol.

There are lots of people who shouldn't be doing ANYTHING else while they
drive.

-DanD

# When choosing between two evils I always like to take the one
# I've never tried before.     -MAE WEST