Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (MAJOR RANT)

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Wed Oct 15 10:34:41 CDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 11:21:21AM -0400, William Enestvedt wrote:

>    This reminds me: what's double-clutching?

That for once is something I know about.

It is only usefully on vehicles without a syncro in the tranny.  This
includes big rig trucks, but I don't believe it includes any car using a
factory standard tranny.

You put the clutch in, put the gear in neutral, clutch out, blip the
gas, clutch in, put the gear in whatever you want it in, let the clutch
out.

The middle bit of clutch out in neutral, blip gas, is intended to get
everything running at the right speed so that you don't grind gears.

Alternatively, you can speed shift, but that isn't recommended in cars
because that will wear things out faster.  Truckers do it all the time
though (or so my trucker friend tells me).