Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Oct 14 17:41:00 CDT 2003

> It's POSSIBLE to safely drive a car whilst using a cellphone, for
> example, but many people do not.  All it requires is paying attention.
> Note that several studies have shown that requiring a handsfree set
> in order to use a cellphone whilst driving actually does nothing
> to increase safety.  It's not the extra hand on the wheel that makes
> so difference.  It's simply driver inattention.
Many towns have the hands-free rule.  Haven't bothered me with the ham radio
yet.

> The truth is that unless you train people right from the start what could
> _possibly_ happen (within reason) they will take the whole thing lightly.
>
> I'd back that up with some serious penalties for causing death, injury,
> or damage with a vehicle.  Why should people take car "accidents"
> seriously when the law doesn't?
Bingo!

> > I'm all in favor of classes that are a little more intense than the ones
> taught in school - like the one place in Wisconsin that teaches some serious
> driving.
Most schools in NJ do not have drivers' ed on the road...insurance is too high.

> They teach real skids and other handling issues among other things.
Ah, driving school...remember it well.

> Following it up with a tougher driving test resulting in a probationary
> license (no driving at night, for example, and possibly restrictions on
> the weight and power of the vehicle) that would be converted to
> a regular license after a period of time without incidents and maybe
> another test might also be nice.
Sounds like the new rules for beginning drivers in NJ.  (2 points on your
record as soon as you get your license)