Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue Oct 14 17:40:14 CDT 2003

As I recall, 'Kevin' wrote:
> This is true.  Very few people use the correct hand
> positions, cell phone or not, so what difference would
> that make.  People try to compare having a conversation
> with a driver and a passenger in a car to a
> conversation between a driver on a cell phone with
> someone far removed from the vehicle. One difference
> lies in the fact that when both parties are in the same
> car, they can both see potential problems and shut the
> fuck up when it becomes necessary.  While this does not
> happen all the time, it does frequently make a
> difference.

How about if we compare making a phone call to other forms
of bidirectional radio traffic?  We have a number of hams
on the list.  I've never had a problem conversing on the
HT while I drive, and I've never had a problem with a
cell phone either.

> On another rant a bit off topic, it's really pissing me
> off how people believe that cell phones are actually an
> absolute necessity these days.

So don't get one.  What's the problem?

> There was a recent vote
> in the county above mine on whether or not kids should
> be allowed to carry cell phones to school.  Several
> parents ranted and raved.  One lady in particular said
> that because her son was disabled that it was an
> absolute necessity that he be able to carry a phone.
> Along the same lines, a lady at my job said her son had
> to have a cell phone because he was a diabetic and had
> to be able to contact her or 911 at any time.  WTF?????

What does need have to do with anything?  If we got rid
of everything we didn't need, we probably wouldn't be
having this discussion because we don't really NEED
to belong to mailing lists.

> What the hell did diabetics do in the 70s?

In the case of a friend's father:  he died.

> My mother
> is diabetic and she absolutely refuses to even own a
> cell phone.  I understand that they can make a
> difference in some emergency situations, and that is
> a good thing but that doesn't change the definition of
> "have to".

You know what you should do?  Disable your airbags and
stop wearing your seat belt.

You'll show us, boy howdy!

-DanD

# "Remote neural rape is an act of war.  NSA, Air Farce are the enemies.
# Place the blame where it belongs."  A sign I saw on the way to work 6/19/2000