Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (MAJOR RANT)

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Oct 14 12:04:08 CDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:55:06PM -0400, William Enestvedt wrote:
> P.P.S. Where I grew up, Minnesota, translators are now available at the DMV
> for people taking the license test who don't speak English. Can I ask how
> likely it is that they will be able to read traffic signs *while driving* if
> they can't read them during the exam in the quiet testing room?

Same in California.  It is rumored that many non-English-speaking
(mostly Asian) Bay Area immigrants have their driving licenses because
the driving test examiner was too terrified to ever risk getting into
the car with them again and passed them to make sure he wouldn't have
to.  Hence the Bay Area half-joke about DWO (driving while Oriental).