[geeks] MP3s on ARM chips

nimitz at ns1.nimitzbrood.com nimitz at ns1.nimitzbrood.com
Tue Oct 14 11:37:51 CDT 2003

> http://www.arm.com/support.nsf/htmlall/80256BC1005E148480256A70003AA644/$File/mp3_wp.pdf?OpenElement
>
> That is ARM's white paper on the topic.  It says they used fixed point
> math at a higher precision than the audio output.
>
> It doesn't say specifically where to get the MP3 API, but I fairly sure
> that it costs extra money and woudn't be compatible with putting in free
> software.  However, knowing that it uses fixed point math points us
> towards grapping one of the free fixed point mp3 decoders, then this
> white paper may be usefull in gathering more tips for accelerating the
> process more.
>
> https://datatype.helixcommunity.org/mp3dec.html
>
> I believe this is one such OSI compatible implementation, and they
> indicate that they can easily pull off full quality decoding on 30 mhz
> (or potentially slower depending on which specific chip and file type we
> are talking about) ARM7 or better chips.

Bah.  We don't need no stinking proprietary stuff.  We just need someone good at base-level coding.  Here's what I was talking about before:

http://members.aol.com/xanathus/mpegdec/about.htm

This thing works on almost any old Mac I have regardless of speed.  Think the developer would be interested in doing a port?

Mike