[geeks] WebPals for $9.99 + S/H (link to reseller)

Thomas Gallaway rescue at port11.net
Mon Oct 13 20:29:13 CDT 2003

On Monday, October 13, 2003, at 09:04  PM, Mike Hebel wrote:

> On Monday, October 13, 2003, at 08:00 PM, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
>
>> On Monday, October 13, 2003, at 08:46  PM, Mike Hebel wrote:
>>>
>>> Looking at these again I _do_ see a use for them - in car MP3
>>> players.  The CF cards and maybe an IDE drive would make them ideal
>>> for this.
>>
>> After what I did gather on information the WebPals have a weird audio
>> chip and the processor is not fast enough to decode
>> mp3.
>
> I'm not so sure about that - I would have sworn my old Blackbird
> Powerbook 540c (68lc040 - 33mhz) was not fast enough to play MP3s but
> there is a machine coded MP3 player for it that plays them in 22khz
> stereo without a problem.  Granted the system can do little else
> without interrupting the playback but it _does_ work.
>
> And in a car, with road noise and such, 22khz will be fine for most
> people.  (0)

Well there was some post I did read about somebody getting sound
running on a webpal but it only will play back 44.1khz. They managed to
get some
mp3 player running but it was all choppy. mpg123 did not even run. Wav
files would play with no problem or if mp3's where converted to wav but
that
would require lots of work before playing a mp3 to have it converted to
wav.

Here is a good forum for webpals stuff:
http://www.linux-hacker.net/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/
UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowBoard&Board=wpalgen&Idle=&Sort=&Order=&Session=