Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Oct 13 19:38:22 CDT 2003

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 04:30:15PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
> The 55mph limit was passed during the "energy crisis"
> based on dubious evidence that 55mph was the optimum
> speed for highest miles per gallon.  Additional support
> for it came from the high number of highway fatalities.

In this context, it's interesting to see a graph of highway fatality
rates per year with the beginning and ending points of the Federal 55
limit marked.  I saw such a graph several years ago, and you could
clearly see that it was basically a straight-line regression with a
"hump" superimposed between the start and end of the double nickel.
Indications are, screams of "SPEED KILLS!" aside, the 55 limit actually
*increased* highway fatalities.