[geeks] Quickest way

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Fri Oct 10 13:17:19 CDT 2003

As I recall, 'Phil Stracchino' wrote:
> > A better way would have been to do something like :
> > mv /opt/sfw /usr/optsfw
> > ln -s /usr/optsfw /opt/sfw
>
> Assuming /usr and /opt were on the same filesystem.  GNU mv will mvoe
> directory trees across filesystems, but my recollection is Solaris mv
> won't...  Correct?

=====
User Commands                                               mv(1)

NAME
     mv - move files
[snip]
SunOS 5.8           Last change: 24 Jun 1998                    1

User Commands                                               mv(1)

     If source and target_file/target_dir are on  different  file
     systems,  mv copies the source and deletes the original; any
     hard links to other files  are  lost.  mv  will  attempt  to
     duplicate  the  source  file  characteristics to the target,
     that is, the owner and group id, permission modes, modifica-
     tion and access times, and ACLs, if applicable. For symbolic
     links, mv will preserve only the owner and group of the link
     itself.
=====

# If all it takes is an infinite number of monkeys with typewriters,
# how come AOL hasn't written any Shakespeare yet?
#