Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay off topic)

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Fri Oct 10 10:59:34 CDT 2003

> > Was that the incidents where the Audi 5000 used to jump forward and
> > their comment was that the people couldn't tell the difference between
> > the brake and the accelerator?  One little known fact was the Audi was
> > very sensitive to RFI and that was the effect.  There was a QST
> > magazine article where some one had to completely sheild the
> > "computer" or it would accelerate evey time he would transmit.
> > Hmmm...... Bob
>
> Hmmm... how could that be? As far as I know, there weren't any
> "drive by wire" cars in the 80s, so that car's throttle body would
> have been actuated mechanically, not electronically. However, the
> ignition and the fuel injection would likely have been controlled
> by the computer, so could either of those going haywire cause the
> cited effects? I have to admit, I always thought it was simply
> the yuppies hitting the wrong pedal, but I could be wrong - Mike

The "wrong pedal" hypothesis was never proven, but since they could never
prove the actual reason, it was the best one for the car companies.  As the
sheilded Audi wiring, the author of the article actually measured RF on
the wiring IIRC and after the sheilding job, never had a problem with the
car again.  Not hard scientific evidence but damn interesting.