Suzuki Samurai was Re: [geeks] SPARC proprietary (waaaay

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Oct 9 15:44:29 CDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 02:59:58PM -0500, James Rice wrote:
> >What is deferred adjudication?  Is that a tx thing?
> >

> Deferred adjudication is a kind of probation.  You pay the fine and a
> small court cost fee, you promise not to get caught speeding in that
> courts jurisdiction for a set time, usually 3-6 months and if you don't
> get another ticket in that area, it stays off your record.

Nice.  I can think of, uh ...   lessee ....  about five tickets that
would have kept off my record.  No, six.

Of course, time was when you went to traffic school in California, you
didn't pay the fine, just an administrative fee.  Now the greedy sons of
*mumble* sting you for the admin fee AND the fine, and the fee's usually
almost as much as the fine.

(Did I mention how much I despise the concept of traffic enforcement as
 revenue generation?  Traffic enforcement should be about safety, not
 about filling the city's coffers.)