[geeks] SS20's are really nice machines :)

Sebastian Krohn seb at gaia.sunn.de
Wed Oct 8 08:35:51 CDT 2003

Kevin Lee <kevin at c0rp.com> wrote:
> I have owned several sun big iron ultra sparc boxes and always considered
> ss20/10/5/etc
> an inferior brand of sun and not worth my time.   I can see I was wrong..

I own a couple of older Suns which are doing most of the job needed in
my private Network.

My old Workstation is a SS20 with 2xsm71 and 192 Meg of RAM and hell -
it's fast! (at least when running NetBSD ;))
It's connected to mynetwork with FDDI and has no problem burning CDs on
the fly over the LAN while playing sound and compiling some stuff out
of pkgsrc while browsing a little bit ...

But it's getting damn hot - two sm71s, a 10k rpm SCA disk and a leoZX
framebuffer are producing more heat than my heater. (Had to improve the
cooling: changed power supply with the Axil311. This machines have three
fan in there which are easily exchanged with a few pabst-fans. :)

My other older Suns are doing their Job pretty well, too:
Sun SS5 110 MHz, 256 Meg
Axil 311 (SS10 clone), 1xsm41 and 1xsm61 (IIRC), 92 Meg
Sun SS IPX, 40 MHz, 24 Meg
  (works great under bad conditions - room temperature up to 50 degree
   in summer and down to -20 in winter [celsius]. The tree PeeCees i
   used before it all burned down at summer ... [yes they were pretty
   good cooled {and down-clocked}])
Sun SLC, 20 MHz, 16 Meg
  (nice machine for use in Bed ;))

I really love them. But in the last few months the first sun4u machines
found their way into my rooms and ousted the SS20 as workstation. (I'm
now using an Transtec U10) The NFS (E150 - Ultra2-based Server) will
replace a PeeCee - so no need to cry at this. ;)

Oh ... erm ... why i'm typing this mail? What have i said? What was the
topic? I lost the red line .. i think ...
However ... hence with it! ;)

/Seb

--
select * from users where iq > 60;