[geeks] What graphical environments are people here using on Solaris?

Daniel Johannsson djohanns at northwestern.edu
Tue Oct 7 16:06:49 CDT 2003

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 7, 2003, at 04:56 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> >
> > When I used a Solaris console routinely, I used WindowMaker or aewm.
> > They weren't exactly swift machines though.
> >

> This is an SS20

I've been very happy with fvwm on both an ss5 and ss10 (both with a tgx
card) in the past.  Fvwm can be configured in a fairly minimalist and
resource light way for these older machines.

Speaking of doing graphical things on older machines.  I had pretty much
given up on doing any web browsing on this ss10 for a while now, after
having modern browsers such as mozilla be extremely slow on it.  A couple
of weeks ago I tried out Sun's Netscape 7 build on it, and found it to
actually be usable.  Surprising but true.

later,

Dan Johannsson