[geeks] Health Update

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Wed Nov 12 11:50:47 CST 2003

As I recall, 'Michael Schiller' wrote:
> said that it could have been easily misdiagnosed as a sleep problem, or
> something else. Normally I have high blood pressure, but after the
> event in the ER they had to give me drugs to get my BP up to the normal
> level, now THAT was something different for me!

Wow, glad you're ok.

> Now onto the geeky side of things. The pacemaker they put in me (a
> Medtronic Kappa KDR901 pacemaker that apparently has memory storage
> capabilities, and using an (I assume) inductive coupling they can
> download info on how my heart is doing, how often the unit had to
> regulate my heartbeat, etc.

Have you ported NetBSD to it yet?

> The doc has signed me up with a company to
> do monthly remote monitoring of the pacemaker, and they're sending me a
> pickup unit that will download the data to them via a built-in acoustic
> coupler (so I'm assuming it's a low speed link ala Bell-103).

Good choice.  Wifi is too close to microwave freqs.

>  From what I've been reading about the pacemaker, the monitoring company
> can actually reprogram the pacemaker thru this link as well (by a
> realtime link with my doc) if it's needed.

Just a thought, but... Don't sign up for their beta test program.

> I haven't received the
> monitoring equipment yet, but I'm really curious if it would be
> possible to hook it up to one of my computers, and see what the
> pacemaker is doing for myself!

We could overclock you... we have the technology!  You could kick
Superman's ASS!

> And the really big question is: How many geek points do I get for
> having a computer regulated heart? :)

Wow, I always thought Dave or Sridhar would be the first list cyborgs.
Man, I bet they're jealous.

-DanD

# begin 644 sig2
# 966]U('-H;W5L9"!G970@;W5T(&UO<F4N"@``