[geeks] IRC and ident and iptables

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sun Nov 9 09:10:04 CST 2003

HELP!

I'm in Israel, for those who don't know, and have an account with an
ISP here through the cable company. The ISP requires a PPTP connection.
In order to be able to establish said connection and use all the
various devices and computers and things i want to use, I've got a
linux box acting as a router. It establishes the PPTP connection to the
ISP, and routes traffic between there and my internal network.

Problem is, it seems to be doing something odd with ident requests, so
that I'm not able to get on either AIM or IRC. Here's the basic
firewall config it's using:

route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth1
/sbin/iptables -t nat -F
/sbin/iptables  -F
/sbin/iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Not much. And yet I get the classic irc error "Register first." when I
try to connect. Which means no ident.

Any thoughts? I've probably left out some incredibly important detail
which would make it obvious to a second grader. But I'm missing it.
HELP!

Thanks,

---sambo