[geeks] RedHat restructure

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Wed Nov 5 08:35:52 CST 2003

I realize not everyone here is a linux fan, but i, for one, would be very pleased to see this
"credibility" trickle down to Slackware.  I'm tired of dealing with software vendors and suits who
still haven't heard of linux and if they do, only know of RedHat.

I would not like to see linux bite into Solaris, IRIX or AIX but i'll take anything i can over Win32
crap.  The area in which i work right now, CPA and Tax firm, there is zero UNIX or Mac software.  It
is almost all Win32 and the crap that is out there is horrible.  On top of that,m it is all moving
to ASP solutions (gag.)

bring on *nix.

/KRM

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 09:12:51 -0500
Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:

> On Wed,  5 Nov 2003 08:55:05 -0500 (EST)
> Kevin wrote:
>

> > Interesting, especially considering Novell's purchase plans for Suse,
> > RedHat's number one competitor.
> >

> Both these moves can mean very good things for the Linux crowd.  They
> both provide a layer of "credibility" to the linux offerings from
> RedHat and SuSE, and that can trickle down to the other offerings from
> Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, and whoever else.  This *will* cut into the
> Windows market-space, but it will also cut into the market-space
> currently occupied by other UNIX vendors - Sun, SGI, etc.
>
> --
> Kurt                 "I am not aware that any community has a right to
> kurt at k-huhn.com       force another to be civilized."
>                                                    --John Stuart Mill

"Microsoft is fighting these initiatives (OSS in government) like a cornered badger on
amphetamines."

keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/