[geeks] Stupidity abounds.... you thought you hated cell phone users...

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat Nov 1 15:54:24 CST 2003

I ask these questions... and I've seen these bathrooms...

1. Would you really want to use the phone after retrieving it?
2. Why would anyone in their right mind stick their arm there...? (YUCK)
3. Why didn't Metro North charge the man for the destruction of the
toilet... I would have.... stupidity should be painful, humiliating,
and costly... These train cars last 20-25 years with minimal parts
change....like REAL computers... I think he had more damage done to the
trains than was done to him.

Article below from CNN

Man drops cell phone in train toilet, jams arm

Friday, October 31, 2003 Posted: 3:20 PM EST (2020 GMT)

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Cell phone users have been known to complain
about poor service, but one New York man's mobile literally went down
the toilet.

The man was on a suburban train from Grand Central Station on Wednesday
night when he went to the bathroom to make a phone call, dropped the
phone into the toilet bowl and then his hand and arm became stuck
trying to retrieve it, officials said.

Metro-North Railroad staff could not help the man, so they stopped the
train and called police officers and firefighters to extricate him, a
process that took 90 minutes using "jaws of life" rescue equipment.

"The toilets are made of aluminum so I imagine he was down on hands and
knees with his shirt rolled up and hand and arm down inside, trying to
flush out his cell phone," said Jim Cameron of the Connecticut
Metro-North commuter council.

He said that because of the design of the train toilet, the mobile
probably ended up in a chemical holding tank.

A spokesman for the railroad that serves the northern suburbs of New
York and Connecticut identified the man as Edwin Gallard, 41, of New
York, who suffered a minor injury to his arm as firefighters cut the
toilet apart.

The track was closed and thousands of commuters were delayed during the
evening rush hour.

The phone has not yet been recovered.