[geeks] Sun a possible takeover target - rumours

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu May 8 06:51:02 CDT 2003

Hello,

See inline...

> > More to a different point-
> >
> > What could Sun do to fix things up a bit?
>
> Put real effort back into Solaris on Intel to provide a path from commodity
> crap to the SPARC platform.

more effort? in what way? Solaris 9 is easily available from sun.com downloads
for a mere $20 for Intel, and free for SPARC.

> Then put real effort into making it more of a desktop friendly OS (a la
> Linux look/feel).

Download Gnome 2.0 from the Sun Site if you like the linux "look n feel". That
should help.

  http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/gnome/get/index.html

> You can stand above the fray and wait for people to come to their senses, or
> you can grab them by the hand and pull them from the fight.

admittedly, i haven't seen much advertising in the way of solaris on intel, but
then again, i don't read many magazines etc...

> Of course, real geeks like Solaris the way it is, but we are a small portion
> of the planet and most of us don't have corporate purchasing power.

good point!

Hobbs.

--
Richard Hobbs
hobbs at mongeese.co.uk
http://mongeese.co.uk | http://unixforum.co.uk

"There's only one way of life, and that's your own" - The Levellers

Send all your jokes to jokes at fishsponge.co.uk !!