[geeks] ANyone used "www.fixyourownprinter.com" repair kits? [AKA Anatomy of lesson learned]

R. Lonstein ross-sunhelp at lonsteins.com
Sun Mar 30 09:36:04 CST 2003

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 07:34:48PM -0800, Lionel Peterson wrote:
	[snip - an embarassement of printers]
> On the second floor, I have an HP 4MV (11" x 17" postscript laser),
> that is having problems picking up paper from the tray (manual feed is
> fine, and th eprint quality is great - very low page count on the
> engine).
	[snip - even more printers and a TV]

Without even looking at it, that sounds like the lower pickup
roller. Try wiping it with pure isopropyl alcohol or swabbing it with
Rubber Renue or, since the part is around $5 non-OEM, buy a new pickup
roller. You can get the whole roller kit for $25 non-OEM. The MV has a
different lower roller (two, I think) than the 4+ or I'd offer you
free the one I have lying here unused on my desk leftover from a
generic 4/4+ kit.

Aside, I wish I could find my old HP pocket field manual. It had
(tiny) exploded diagrams of every printer from the LaserJet to the
4Si. I still have my PCL manuals and a few others but I must have
loaned/given that one away.

- Ross