[geeks] 802.11x speeds

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sun Mar 23 09:58:00 CST 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-22 at 22:12, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I think 802.11a will remain (for a while), as it is standardized,
> higher-speed, and the element of obscurity can be useful.

If you do anything over wireless that you expect to be secure, you're
nuts.[1]

> Also, I think the 2.4 GHz range will be clobbered with 802.11b, 802.11g
> and digital wireless phones, microwaves, etc...

That all depends on how densely populated of an area you're using it.
I'd guess that major metropolitan areas are already pretty crowded with
2.4Ghz traffic.  Just need to make your house/apartment/office into a
large Faraday Cage so that your signal doesn't get out, and nobody
else's gets in. :) [2]

> I have an 802.11a kit that I haven't powered up yet - got it because (I
> think) someone was using my 802.11b AP (unexplained activity, but it
> died-down now)

I'd be interested in what kind of range you get out of it.  A friend of
mine who used it had horrible results, and replaced the 802.11a gear
with 802.11g gear.  He's been happy with the g gear.

	-Dan Sikorski

[1] Unless you leave only one port open on a router on the wireless
network to only allow ipsec or ssh traffic, which is my plan to do one
of these days.

[2] I've often wondered if one could make a business out of such a
plan.  Anyone know if a Faraday Cage could block out cell phone signals?
i'd think that movie theaters would love to block out cellular signal in
there.