[geeks] 802.11x speeds

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sun Mar 23 00:26:14 CST 2003

On Friday, March 21, 2003, at 05:16 PM, vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> 802.11g is specced to 54Mbps.

Yeah, but you ain't gettin' near that. I've watched, and you're
fortunate if you get 11Mbps out of what they're calling "g". You may
note no-one's selling hardware that is actually 802.11g compliant.

Also, there's a problem with 802.11g. Grab a spectrum analyzer. 802.11b
does a beautiful thing. You broadcast on a channel, and the signal
spills over into other channels in the frequency. 802.11b signal drops
off rapidly, so you can have three different channels going at once out
of the 11 available. G stomps all over the whole local spectrum. It's
horribly ugly.

I suggest it's going to be a looong time before you see any FCC
certified outdoor 802.11g equipment.

Stick to b. You can do wonderful things with it.

---sambo