[geeks] 802.11x speeds

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 09:54:36 CST 2003

--- Kevin <kevin at mpcf.com> wrote:

> What is the upper limit for wireless ether stuff these days?
>  Last i heard was 11 megabit on paper and about 6 in practice.
> Has there been any speed increases for the newer stuff
> (standards)?  Any where near 100mb?

802.11a does 54 Mb/sec on paper in the 5.4 GHz range.

Some vendors have bastardized 802.11b to support 22 Mb/sec in the 2.4
GHz range.

And finally there is this 802.11g protocol, which I think attempts 54
Mb/sec in the 2.4 GHz range.

For nearly all purposes, 802.11b is considered the most usable
compromise (range/speed/compatibility/cost) by most sources I've read.

=====
Lionel

http://platinum.yahoo.com