[geeks] Whoo hoo... now this is a nice Linux

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Fri Mar 21 17:04:33 CST 2003

On 2003-03-21 22:28:27 +0000 Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net>
wrote:

>   A Linux distribution with things like "make
> world" and a ports tree would go a long way towards making it a more
> useful environment, IMO.
>
> If Gentoo has stuff like this, the only real missing component would
> be
> an installer--even a shellscript installer like the BSDs and Slackware
> have.

I don't have a whole lot of *BSD experience, I can never seem to get
comfortable in them.  I think Irix and Linux ruined me.  But if I
understand correctly, make world rebuilds everything you have built
from ports, right?  In that case,

BSD "make world" == Gentoo "emerge -e world"

However, if it only rebuilds things that have newer versions, that
would be "emerge -u world"

Cheers,

Caleb