[geeks] Whoo hoo... now this is a nice Linux

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Mar 20 21:59:56 CST 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > Is this some new sort of Linux-zealot dicksize war?
> >

> Just when I thought it was safe to read geeks@ while consuming
> liquid....

Seriously, though.  As much as I worded the question like a weary
antisocial asshole who's spent all day dealing with lusers and hasn't
had supper yet[0], it's an honest question.

Everyone around here who uses Gentoo has given me one, ONE argument for
using it: "You learn so much more because it doesn't do anything for you".
In fact, at least one of the local zealots is convincing new-to-Linux
users to install it on their systems.  Most give up in disgust, but the
one or two that stuck with it think they're all-powerful now because they
went through half a dozen finger-exercises with tar and "emerge"[1].

Not that a feeling of power over one's system is a bad thing...

The whole experience left me with a taste of "You must be at least this
1337 to ride Gentoo".  Maybe it's a great OS, but no one's been able to
answer -why- yet.

[0] Coincidence?  You decide.
[1] Whatever the hell that is--so much for not having it do any
    handholding.
--
Jonathan Patschke  *) "Saying 8MB of RAM doesn't do as much anymore is
Thorndale, TX      (*  like saying a gallon of water holds more than it