[geeks] Whoo hoo... now this is a nice Linux

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 01:22:49 CST 2003

On Thursday 13 March 2003 4:17 am, Bryan Fullerton wrote:
> On Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003, at 12:37 Canada/Eastern, Mike Meredith
>
> wrote:
> > I believe you are more likely to run into a failure mode that no
> > filesystem has come up with an answer for ... a disk failure.
> > Because of the ways the numbers have tumbled for me, I've seen more
> > instances of UFS (Solaris) losing data than ext2.
>
> Does ext2 still default to async writes?

Can't see any signs of a change in manual page (considering my mistake
about Grub I thought it best to check!) and I don't see a change is
very likely. And I believe we're actually talking about asyncronous
writes of filesystem metadata.

I don't see async writes as *that* dangerous in the proper environment
... UPS (or at home, in a place where I can't recall a powercut for at
least 5 years), no experimental kernel code, and good backups. I still
say you're far more likely to see a disk failure than problems
associated with ext2 or with async writes.