[geeks] CAD and wireframes Was:This would make a good workstation

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Wed Mar 5 08:34:25 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kurt Huhn" <kurt at k-huhn.com>
To: "The Geeks List" <geeks at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: [geeks] CAD and wireframes Was:This would make a good
workstation

> I've never seen a piece of software that did that.  Seems to me, this
would
> be a good job for an intern. or a kid fresh out of college.

Heh, been there, done that. I worked on a contract for a while
converting manual drawings into AutoCAD drawings. Some of the
drawings were pretty old, but fortunately the guy who drew many
of them as a detailer had been promoted to a checker, so I was
able to directly ask him what he was thinking when he drew the
originals (manufacturing processes, materials, etc.)

There are companies that will convert manual drawings into CAD,
but I don't know if they have some sort of a digitization process
or a bunch of trained monkeys doing the conversion. I think they
usually charge about $20 per D-size sheet, so I would guess they
have some automated way of doing it. These companies advertise
in e.g. Cadalyst magazine, and I think ads for software that does
the same is usually in the same part of the ads section.

Anyway, a workstation like this would be a godsend for me.
This is what I do, mechanical design, and it really sucks being
stuck in PeeCee land as I am - flaky x86 hardware and even flakier
Windows-only software. One of these machines running Catia or
Unigraphics would be nice.

- MF