[geeks] Portable audio recording solution?

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Mon Mar 3 23:35:51 CST 2003

I've got the older Sony DAT Walkman.  It uses optical digital
outputs so getting data back into the machine shouldn't be a
problem.  You would want to look out for units that use SCAMS.
 SCAMS only allows you to make one digital copy of your work.
Supposedly this was done to stop people from making perfect
digital copies of commercial audio CDs (this was done well
before CDR was readily available).  Exactly how they
accomplish this and how easy it is to get around it do not
know, but why bother if you don't have to?

/KRM