[geeks] Whoo hoo... now this is a nice Linux

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Mar 3 09:11:13 CST 2003

After spending all weekend with my Thinkpad 240...(so cute) trying to shovel
Gentoo onto it, I have success!...

This is quite possibly the nicest linux I've seen... build stuff from
scratch pretty much... compile the kernel as part of installation, and
Portage which is just like BSD ports...I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool
Debian user.

Only bone to pick:  Gentoo team ought to make some boot floppies...esp
pcmcia stuff... you have to use the Slackware 8.1 install set + pcmcia.dsk
to install.  Then you have to mount an extra floppy with a statically linked
bzip2.  Lucky my CD-ROM is pcmcia ide.

Andrew J. Weiss
Field Network Engineer
En Pointe Technologies