[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Thu Jul 17 19:51:35 CDT 2003

> > But thanks for the patronizing...
>
> Sorry if it came across that way, wasn't intended to be.

Just kidding, I indeed have the dryest humour here :).

> > Says who, you? Ah, OK. I guess it must be true.... A gun handled by an
> > idiot whether he is or not legal or a criminal is what is a problem. I
> > somehow would like to be protected from that. Is that too much to ask?
>
> Not at all. So I guess what we really need to do, and would solve all
> sorts of problems, not just gun related ones, would be to outlaw
> idiocy! I mean think about it, it's idiots with guns folks worry about,
> idiots behind the wheel of a car that worry people, idiots with chain
> saws that worry people, let's make the idiots illegal, that will solve
> all our problems.

I am not for outlawing, I am for regulating. There is a huge difference,
if you are going to let private citizens arm themselves, OK, but make sure
these people are trained. If you pass the training then OK have a gun, but
the problem I have is that usually almost everyone who wants a gun, can
almost go out there and buy one. Whether or not they have the required
training to handle it (and maybe psychological maturity to handle it).
That is who I referred as "gun idiots", those are the peopel I want to be
protected from, and those are the easier to protect from.

The problem I have is, how do you interpret the 2nd, does having a right
mean that even though you are not training to handle it you get to have it
(it being guns in this case) just because?

> I agree with you that the reasons WHY people do crime needs to be
> looked into, but while we're doing that I'm still going to keep my gun
> handy to protect myself.

I agree that as long as people understand that, however how many people
thing that just because one is packing heat, voila problem solved?

> > b) Police actually do their damn job.
>
> Well, I guess that leaves out the United States, as the supreme court
> of the US has decided that the police do not have a responsibility to
> protect the public.

Then I guess it is another reason to be even more piss off at the SCOTUS,
so what exactly is police supposed to do? (this is an actual question not
a retort, I just get more and more aggraviated at some of the justices)

> Haven't you heard of home invasions? They happen in all sorts of
> neighborhoods, good, bad, or otherwise. In fact in Florida, if you're
> in your home, you don't have to try and flee before being justified in
> using deadly force. (according to FL law, even if you're carrying a
> concealed weapon, you must try to flee a situation before being
> justified in using deadly force)

I have heard of cases in which a burglar got injured inside someone's
house while robbing the property, the burglar actually sued the property
owner and won. This is some endemic flaws in the system, I just do not
know what having a gun would have solved anything... the systems is so
retarded that it needs to be changed. I rather concentrate on that that on
owning the gun -personal choice- I do not want other people to be forbined
from owning guns because I did a personal choice. I just want those people
who chose to own guns to be adecuatedly prepared and trained for the
responsability of owning a gun. I call that regulation or control, not
prohibition. Do I make sense?

> > We can make all the made up scenarios you want. I believe guns are for
> > the
> > most part a psychological safety resort, whether or not those guns make
> > you any safer in reality is debatable.
>
> Well, as others have pointed out, this whole discussion is pointless,
> as I'm not about to change my views, and nor are you going to change
> yours, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Well, I am not forcing anyone to change their views. We are all entitled
to express each other's views.. and be cool with that. We are not trying
to win anything, and difference is the spice of life.

The point I wanted to get across, is that I uderstand that criminals with
guns are a problem (even without guns they are a problem) so that is out
of the question, however normal citizens who do not know how/when or are
prepared to be entrusted with a gun get access to such machinery. Those
are the people I am also afraid of too. This does not make me anti gun,
but rather anti "jackass" with guns :).