[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at ucsc.edu
Thu Jul 17 15:06:26 CDT 2003

> Simplifying greatly; People who have sympathy for the 'pro gun' point of
> view place more emphasis in belief in the rights of the common man and the
> right of self determination.  Folks who sympathize with the 'anti gun'
> argument are more statist and believe that the more control over the
> individual the better.

I tried to stay away from this, but I love the wording of your last
sentence... I fail to see how you can make the extrapolation that since
some people feel that ONE issue should be controlled (gun ownership), that
these same people somehow advocate MORE control in general. I could apply the
same approach and claim that the pro-gun control people actually advocate the
most control over other individuals, since they want to be able to use a
device that gives them the ultimate control over other people (i.e. their
actual life).

I am ok with people owning guns as long as they are well trained to use
them, a gun is not a toy nor a car. It is designed for a single purpose,
to kill, so in order for me to feel comfortable with other people owning
guns they'd better be damn well trained to operate them. Whether that
somehow represents a form of gun control, so be it. As well as the gun
owners feel they have the right to feel safe via their gun, I also believe
have the right of feeling safe from gun owners :). This can be seen as
the debate between smokers and nonsmokers (where do the rights of the smokers
and nonsmokers collide...)

> I may have not stated that last as well as it could be; obviously I fall
> into the former camp and, as much as I've tried to understand the beliefs
> and motivations of the latter .. I just can't.  It's too alien.

Nah, you are just afraid the other camp's opinions may make sense :) JK.