[geeks] FW: [rescue] UPS Recommendation

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Jul 17 07:52:16 CDT 2003

On Thursday 17 July 2003 02:13, N.Miller wrote:
> Perhaps I should have said "on average for those who were literate"?
> I know plenty of people who can read but can't string together
> an argument for/against anything in a way that makes sense.  Nor
> can they decipher problems with arguments others make to them
> (read or spoken).  Education goes far beyond literacy.  In fact
> though, I don't really mean education, I mean the ability to
> think for one's own self.

Very good point. Besides, it's been proven psychologicalle that pe an academic
education doesn't help one to think for him/herself.

> I would like to say I am not biased, but I am.  A person's
> color, gender, species, sexual identification, age, etc.,
> mean nothing to me.  But I do pay attention to a person's
> ability to think about the things they are being told or
> what they are reading, and consider the biases, fallacies,
> body language, etc. of the other person before they decide
> to buy in.  Sheep need not apply.

Now that's a spirit I like :-) . (Not that one can actually convince me that
color, gender, etc. have no influence on what you think about him).

My 2 cents about guns and stuff: I live in a country were guns, except for
hunting, are generally not allowed, though it's still way too easy to get one
"unofficially". At least, I hope we never get something like a law that
allows normal people to carry guns on the street, or an association that
"protects their rights". I have a Weberian idea about arms: governments
should monopilise violence. End of the story.

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be