[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jan 31 22:06:39 CST 2003

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 10:59 PM, Chris Byrne wrote:
> Oops, you're right. It was first developed on a VAX according to the
> history on the web. I don't know where I got the idea it was on a PDP
> of
> any variety.

   Probably because the first non-assembler incarnation of UNIX was
developed on a PDP-11.  GCC didn't get PDP-11 target support until ~6
years ago.

>  Prolly 'cuz RMS was still working on one in '87 (I honestly
> don't remember which. Was MIT still running any ITS systems at that
> point?)

   Now you're talking about a PDP-10.  Yes, ml.ai and two others (don't
recall their names offhand) were running in 1987 and for quite a while
thereafter.  ml.ai and one of the other MIT PDP-10 systems are now in
Doug Humphrey's warehouse in Laurel, MD.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                 "Rubber duckies *are* important."
St. Petersburg, FL                            -Doc Shipley