[geeks] Background Noise and old homes

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Fri Jan 31 19:34:28 CST 2003

Dave once responded:
>    I don't think many people here would actually put big machines in
> their living rooms.  My big machines (for example) are in the computer
> room where they belong.  Just try to watch movies or relax on the couch
> with a Cray J90 rumbling in the background.  You can't hear yourself
> think next to one of those.

That's the most intelligent thing I've heard in a while. The E3000 and
A5000 have their home in the basement, where eventually they'll have
their own room complete with real-life punch-down block for the
telephones. Then again, my wife wouldn't let me have it any other way.
Until a real computer room is built the DSL modem and WAP hide in the
entrance-way under a table. It's concealed and works well enough that
we get wireless to most of the house.

Anyone have tips on how to run a length of conduit two-to-three
stories? I want to re-wire (and also run video coax) into the attic for
the second floor bedrooms from the basement (it's always good practice
to replace 79 year-old knob-and-tube wiring with romex.)

-Jon
Jonathan Katz = J. Random BOFH = http://jonworld.com = jon at jonworld.com
If only more people felt this way:
         "Mhz is the benchmark for childhood head injury victims... you
         will notice they never mention SPECrate or anything!"