[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jan 31 17:31:01 CST 2003

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 05:39 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>>> A WHAT?!?!?
>>>
>>> Isn't that an IBM mainframe?
>>
>>    You got a problem with that? ;)
>>
>>    (this man doesn't know much about this crowd, does he!)
>
> I get to know the crowd a bit by now, as a bunch of madmen who cannot
> keep
> themselves to keep stuffing sgi and sun hardware into racks at home :-)

   That's but a very small part of the story.

> But I wouldn't exactly have expected a mainframe to show up in ones
> living
> room.

   I don't think many people here would actually put big machines in
their living rooms.  My big machines (for example) are in the computer
room where they belong.  Just try to watch movies or relax on the couch
with a Cray J90 rumbling in the background.  You can't hear yourself
think next to one of those.

   Not trying to be snippy, just illustrating that much (most?) of this
gang does a lot more than hack on old Sun or SGI machines for amusement.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                 "Rubber duckies *are* important."
St. Petersburg, FL                            -Doc Shipley