[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jan 31 12:43:38 CST 2003

On Friday, January 31, 2003, at 09:44 AM, Michael Schiller wrote:
>>> I'd agree with that.  I think my best looking machine is my S/390 G5.
>>> That's a thing of beauty.
>>>
>>> Peace...  Sridhar
>> Lucky bastard.
>
> I've never seen an S/390, but after seeing Dave's big Cray my SS2000
> is sort of plain looking :)
>
> BTW, does quantity of CPUs make up for lack of speed? I mean it's
> impressive having a machine with 20 CPUs in it, but then each one only
> runs at 85mhz!

   Depends on the multiprocessing overhead, memory bandwidth, and lots
of other issues.  85MHz isn't a very fast clock, but those
SuperSPARC-IIs are pretty well-designed processors and they USE that
85MHz pretty effectively.  I'd say 20x SM81s is a force to be reckoned
with, though I don't know much about the memory bandwidth of the SC2000.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                 "Rubber duckies *are* important."
St. Petersburg, FL                            -Doc Shipley