[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Jan 31 09:38:43 CST 2003

Bjorn Ramqvist <v53278 at g.haggve.se> wrote:

> Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > good use of it.  The Octane is incredibly stable, doesn't get overly
> > hot, and moves great honking shitpiles of data without even trying.  It
> > also sucks air like a pro-street supercharger.
>
> "doesn't get overly hot"?
> Geez... My office at home has never been that warm (or stormy) as when I
> had an Octane running a few days at home. I was somewhat glad to have it
> out of there, although I miss the cozyness of IRIX and Octane-speed.
> An O2 would be nice though...

As compared to an Intel CPU.  Really, I don't think the processor gets all
that hot.  MIPS CPUs are known for dissapating very little heat - which is
why they're so great for embeded applications.  Cycle for cycle, a MIPS will
run *far* cooler than any equivilent (sp?) intel processor.  There's a pile
of air of coming out, which is moderately warm, but nothing like the hot air
that comes out of the systems in the datacenter at the office.

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com