[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Jan 31 08:58:00 CST 2003

Frank Van Damme <frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:

> On Friday 31 January 2003 02:43, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > We held a vote a while back, and I think "Diesel" won out.  I doubt
> > they're going to use that name, so I gave my Octane that hostname.
>
> LOL!

Heh :)

My reasoning was this:
Diesel is a very stable fuel, with a high flash point, and with enormous
amounts of stored energy.  It takes some forced induction to really make
good use of it.  The Octane is incredibly stable, doesn't get overly hot,
and moves great honking shitpiles of data without even trying.  It also
sucks air like a pro-street supercharger.

My game machine will be named Gasoline because:
Gasoline is rather unstable, has a very low flash point, and to make
respectable of power in a small engine you need to rev it out nearly to the
mechanical failure point of the materials.  Windows is unstable (compared to
Irix), the P4 CPU gets very hot, and (you guessed it) the design is reaching
theoretical limits of the material's abilities.

Me, gearhead?

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com