[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Thu Jan 30 16:04:02 CST 2003

Now heres a question for everyone. Why is it that UNIX vendors in
general, and SGI specifically tend to include such tiny drives relative
to the largest capacities available, in even thir higher end systems?

Up until two years ago the standard drive in an 02 was a 9 gigger, it
was only an 18gb when they discontinued the 02+ last year, and the
largest drive you could order with one was a 36gb. Even now the standard
drive config for an Octane2 is a single 18gb drive.

You would think that machines designed to work with large amounts of 3d
graphics and video would have more storage capacity.

And of course when you do order bigger drives they charge you four times
what the drive costs when ordered from the manufacturer.

Chris Byrne