[geeks] Daily Dose of Unix

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Thu Jan 30 14:47:11 CST 2003

I loved my O2's. Honestly I don't think there's ever been a cooler
looking machine 'cept maybe the NeXT boxes.

> Do you really need MXE? Wouldn't SI/SE + TRAM be enough? Do you really
> use all that 3D power?

Nope, not a chance in hell. But then again I don't really "need" an
Octane either. I could do everything I want with a PC running Linux, and
if I stuck a wildcat or oxygen (or something similar) in there I'd have
pretty serious graphical muscle and still come out cheaper than an
Octane, and faster for general computing tasks.

But it wouldn't be an Octane, it'd be a PC running Linux, and wheres the
fun in that ;-)

> My concern would be more what it takes to get a compiler besides gcc.
> gcc is knowen to produce slow code on RISC machines. I see it on my
> Alphas, GCC <=> DEC CC... I heared that some GCC code is only
> about half
> as fast than the same source compiled with MIPS Pro. Maybe
> this changed
> with GCC 3.x but...
> --

>From what I've heard its better but still not good.