[geeks] OT Rant: A wish for GUI Telnet

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at plexus.com
Thu Jan 30 14:08:01 CST 2003

That's what they asked for.  GUI telnet.

See, today I visited the guy who 'develops' an application that sits on one
of my servers.  I casually mentioned that we're going to be removing unused
services from 'his' box.  Things like telnet, FTP, CDE ... the usual stuff
when you move a system from development to production.

He got upset.  Really upset.  He showed me how he's been getting into the
box to edit the csv files.  FTP.  WS_FTP, actually, from his Windows system.
"You'd better give me a graphical means of navigating and editing, and it
can't be that Unix crap, I don't understand that stuff".

So, I'm thinking with part of my mind about stuff like ... a GUI CSV, or
cygwin for X but mostly what I'd like to do is metaphorically sling his
GUI-self out the window.

Thank you for listening.

Brian Dunbar
I think people tend to forget that