[geeks] Octane audio software

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Jan 28 15:34:12 CST 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 03:00:00PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    Indeed, I was shocked to see digital audio I/O on the octane that
> showed up here a few days ago.  I would *love* to see some cool
> software to take advantage of this.  I wish I had more time; maybe I'd
> try to write some. :-(

Don't bother writing some.  Just port Audacity
(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/).  It currently supports linux and
*BSD on x86, and PPC on MacOSX, so it should be pretty cross platform
safe already.  All you would need to do would be to add support for the
way SGI handles audio.

Audacity does mulitrack audio nicely from what little I've seen with it,
except for one thing.  It doesn't attempt to adjust for recording lag.
That should be such an easy thing to do, but they don't believe in it
for some reason.