[geeks] Sendmail question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jan 26 15:51:39 CST 2003

On Sunday, January 26, 2003, at 04:42 PM, Joacim Melin wrote:
> I'm doing a transfer from an MS Exchange Server 2000-installation to
> Linux and sendmail. (don't think I have to explain why... :) )
>
> Have one question though : is it possible for sendmail to act as
> another hostname ?  My network is setup so that I only got one fixed
> public IP-address and I can't take down the exchange server until this
> new server is up, and I'd hate to name the new email server the same
> name as the old exchange server.
>
> The fixed IP-address is registered to a specific hostname and my guess
> is that there will be trouble if the name in the DNS is dogbert and
> the new mailserver is named dilbert.. or whatever.

   You need to set up "masquerading" (which is not the same as "IP
masquerading" in Linux).  I have this record in the sendmail.cf file on
mail.neurotica.com:

DMneurotica.com

   This causes mail sent from that machine to appear to have come from
"neurotica.com", which doesn't actually exist as a host.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "Wear whatever you want...Just don't be surprised
St. Petersburg, FL        if you wind up with a blow-gun dart in your